The Stihl BT 131 Earth Auger is an exceptional drilling tool that caters to a wide range of applications, from construction projects to ice fishing adventures. Let’s delve into the details and discover how this remarkable tool can transform your drilling experience.
Pros and Cons
- Extended fuel tank capacity ensures longer operating time, reducing the need for frequent refueling.
- Equipped with hip pads that offer comfort and act as a protective barrier between you and the motor.
- QuickStop brakes provide enhanced safety by preventing injuries during sudden stops.
- Incorporates a damping system to reduce vibrations and improve handling.
- Features a pistol throttle that offers superior comfort compared to traditional motorcycle throttles.
- Surprisingly lightweight, compact, and quiet considering its impressive power output.
- The location of the semi-automatic choke on the bottom of the engine can be slightly inconvenient.
Using the STIHL BT 131 Auger
In my spare time, I maintain a horse farm in Georgia. This is where the Stihl auger has proven its worth by efficiently setting up initial posts for new barns using the largest bit it accepts—an 8″ bit. Additionally, it aids in installing fence posts. The auger effortlessly cuts through tough clay soil with the presence of roots and rocks, ensuring a job well done.
When I loaded the Stihl auger into my John Deere Gator, I was pleasantly surprised by its compact size. It easily fits into the cargo box, along with the Stihl’s 8″ bit. Moreover, its lighter weight surpassed my expectations.
Refueling the auger is a breeze since the gas cap is conveniently accessible when the auger is placed on its side. Stihl’s emphasis on the BT 131’s large 24-ounce fuel tank ensures longer runtimes, increasing productivity by minimizing the need for frequent refueling.
One feature I particularly appreciate is the ability to set the brake to prevent the bit from rotating when starting the auger. This fine-tuning option allows for precise bit placement.
When drilling larger and deeper holes, the hip pad proves its worth by reducing pressure and heat buildup in the legs and hips. This feature grants me better control over the Stihl BT 131.
Compared to other augers in the market, the Stihl BT 131 boasts significantly reduced vibration levels. Although drilling remains physically demanding, the decreased vibration makes a noticeable difference. This auger sets itself apart from rental equipment options.
The QuickStop Auger Brake stands out as the flagship feature of this tool. Initially, it may appear as a potential source of inconvenience or obstruction. However, Stihl designed the brakes to be flexible, ensuring safety. In situations where the auger starts moving violently or gets entangled with roots or rocks, the brake engages, flexes, and stops the bit from rotating, preventing potential accidents.
Unlike most augers in the market, the Stihl BT 131 includes this critical safety feature. With a little practice, you’ll find the brakes seamlessly integrated into the tool, allowing you to work freely.
The Stihl’s pistol-grip throttle pleasantly surprises me with its ergonomic design, deviating from the traditional motorcycle twist-up style. It offers improved control and quicker release, enhancing overall maneuverability.
Yes or No?
The Stihl BT 131 consistently delivers exceptional performance. It effortlessly handles any drilling task, including those involving roots and rocks. Even when faced with Georgia’s tough clay soil, it remains resolute. As long as you use a well-maintained or new drill, this auger provides sufficient power for drilling holes up to 8 inches.
My only minor qualm is the location of the semi-automatic choke at the bottom of the unit. While slightly inconvenient, it is far from a deal-breaker.
- Hip Pad: The Stihl Auger’s Hip Pad cushions your hips and legs, providing relief from the pressure and heat generated during operation.
- QuickStop Screw Brake: This screw brake acts as a reliable safety mechanism. It halts the rotation of the tool when it detects excessive movement that could potentially cause harm.
- Damping system: The built-in damping system significantly reduces vibrations, ensuring comfortable and controlled operation.
- Emissions-reducing engine technology: The BT 131 exceeds EPA and/or CARB exhaust emission standards, making it environmentally friendly.
- Long-lasting air filtration system: This auger boasts a durable air filtration system, ensuring optimum performance over an extended period.
- Built in the USA: Stihl’s commitment to quality extends to manufacturing this drill in the United States.
When compared to its competitors, the Stihl BT 131 Earth Auger stands out as an exceptional choice within the premium market segment while maintaining a competitive price point. It offers an impressive feature set and outstanding performance, making it a worthwhile upgrade from lower-end brands.
The Bottom Line
Stihl’s meticulous craftsmanship is evident in the BT 131 Earth Auger. This well-engineered tool sits atop the premium market segment and offers enhanced features and improved performance, guaranteeing exceptional results.
Stihl BT 131 Ground Drill Specifications
- Displacement: 36.3 cc (2.2 cubic inches)
- Engine power: 1.4 kW (1.9 hp)
- Fuel tank capacity: 710 cc (24 oz)
- Drill tool speed: 200 rpm
- Gear reduction ratio: 47.5:1
- Torque (engine): 1.7 Nm (1.25 ft/lb)
- Torque (Auger): 81 Nm (60 ft/lbs)
- Powerhead Weight: 10.0 kg (22 lbs)
- Price: $699.95