Whether you’re a welding student, professional, or weekend enthusiast, you’re likely familiar with Jackson Safety. Jackson offers a wide range of welding masks, from affordable passive masks to premium models at the higher end of the market. Known for their exceptional optics, advanced technology, and superior comfort, Jackson welding helmets are highly regarded in the industry. These helmets are renowned for their durability and can withstand the demands of professional environments, lasting for years or even decades. In fact, welders using other helmet brands often recommend retrofitting Jackson helmets due to their legendary all-day comfort. If you’re in search of a reliable and comfortable helmet that won’t disappoint you, check out our top five picks for Jackson welding helmets.
In a Rush?
Here are three products that might catch your interest depending on your budget:
Best Choice: Jackson BH3
The Jackson Safety BH3 is a professional auto-dimming helmet equipped with Balder True Color technology. It offers 1/1/1/1 optics, is lightweight, extremely comfortable, and comes with a 5-year warranty.
Best Value: Jackson SmarTIGer
The SmarTIGer provides similar features to the BH3, including Balder technology, at an affordable price. It offers outstanding optical clarity, all-day comfort, and a 5-year warranty that shouldn’t be overlooked.
Best Budget: Jackson Insight
Jackson Insight helmets are widely used on welding sites and factory floors. They are known for their exceptional durability, excellent optical quality, lightweight design, and industry-leading performance. What’s not to like?
Best Jackson Welding Helmets, Reviewed
Here are our five best picks to help you find the perfect helmet:
1. Jackson BH3 Welding Helmet
- Optics with a rating of 1/1/1/1, which is the highest quality available
- Auto-Darkening Filter (ADF) with a variable shade range from 9 to 13
- Lightweight, high-density polymer hood
- Pneumatic curved front cover
- Adjustable head strap for personalized fit
- Internal infinite dial adjuster
- Compatible with hard hats
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Excellent neck and face coverage
- Some users reported glare on the curved lid
The BH3 is one of Jackson’s top professional helmets designed for lightweight and impact resistance. It features a curved front panel to reflect heat and reduce fogging. The tapered and outwardly curved base makes it easier to lower your chin for better visibility. The rounded corners of the BH3 improve impact resistance and allow for easier maneuverability in tight spaces. With Jackson’s Balder technology, this helmet provides superior field of view and optical clarity. The BH3 comes with a 5-year warranty, further establishing its quality and durability.
2. Jackson SmarTIGer
- Balder technology for enhanced vision
- Torch dancer graphic for added style
- Variable shades ranging from 9 to 13
- Adjustable headgear for personalized fit
- Solar-powered for extended battery life
- Two-piece housing for easy cleaning
- Comfortable Jackson 370 headgear
- Lightweight design reduces neck pressure
- Wide coverage in the neck area
- Digital controls inside for added protection
- Non-replaceable batteries
- No grind mode
- Possible light leakage from behind
The SmarTIGer is a professional welding helmet featuring Balder technology and an optical rating of 1/1/1/1. Its sleek design and curved front cover resemble the BH3 but at a more affordable price point. While it offers similar features, such as all-day comfort and a 5-year warranty, the SmarTIGer has a smaller viewport, lacks a grind mode, and comes with non-replaceable batteries. Nonetheless, it remains a lightweight and highly comfortable option, adjustable for height, head size, and eye-to-viewport distance. The SmarTIGer is compatible with hard hats and equipped with a solar panel for battery charging. The ADF filter allows for infinite adjustments between shades 9 and 13, while sensitivity and reaction time are fully customizable.
3. Jackson Insight Welding Helmet
- Variable shades ranging from 9 to 13
- Welding and grinding mode
- Solar lithium battery
- Ultra-light shell for added comfort
- Large viewport for excellent visibility
- ADF filter fits HLX100 and HSL100 housings
- Digital button control for easy adjustment
- Four-position height adjustment for personalized fit
- Rechargeable battery for convenience
- Too thin to wear a respirator
- Some users feel the neck coverage is insufficient
The Jackson Insight helmet offers top-of-the-line optics with digital shades, sensitivity, and reaction time buttons. It features a solar-powered rechargeable Li-Ion battery at an affordable price. The Insight ADF filter settings are interchangeable between HLX100 and HSL100 series housings. Users appreciate the large viewport and the digital display that indicates the shade level at a glance. The shade level is adjustable from 9 to 13, and the helmet is equipped with a swivel adjustment feature for easy customization. While some users find the enclosure too narrow for a respirator, an HSL series case can be purchased separately for better neck coverage. Jackson provides a two-year warranty for this helmet.
4. Jackson Next Generation
- NexGen 3-in-1 Digital Auto-Dimming filter
- Variable shades from 9 to 13
- Auto power off function
- Low battery alert
- Meets ANSI Z87.1 safety standards
- Amber lenses enhance melt pool vision
- Digital sensitivity and delay adjustment
- Wide field of view
- Solar rechargeable lithium battery
- Some reports of light bouncing from behind being reflected on the viewport
The NexGen filter is the highlight of this helmet. Equipped with amber lenses, it provides a clear view of the weld pool, surpassing the capabilities of green filters. Jackson’s comfort and durability ensure a loyal following. The NexGen utilizes a rechargeable lithium-ion battery and solar power, offering grind, weld, and torch modes for versatility. The shade level, delay time, and sensitivity can be easily adjusted using the internal controls. The shell is lightweight, flexible, and durable. Automatic power-off and low battery indicators add convenience. With sensitivity down to 5 amps, it is suitable for TIG and sheet metal work. Jackson backs the NexGen helmet with a 2-year warranty.
5. Jackson Truesight II Welding Helmet
- Optical Clarity 1/1/1/1 Excellent
- Variable shades for 5-8 and 9-13
- Balder True Color Technology for clearer vision
- Welding, grinding, and torching modes
- Uses standard AAA battery sizes
- Huge 13 square inches of viewing area
- Well-balanced and lightweight
- True color view of the melt pool
- Auto off and auto on functions
- Protective lenses are priced at $4-5 each
TrueSight II is Jackson’s premium auto-dimming helmet featuring Balder True Color Technology and the largest viewport currently available. With its excellent optical clarity rating of 1/1/1/1, it provides unmatched visibility. The lightweight HLX series shell, weighing just 6 ounces, ensures comfort even during extended use. TrueSight II offers welding, grinding, and torching modes, powered by two standard AAA batteries. Some users have reported light leakage from behind and a lack of sufficient neck coverage with the HLX case. Replacement lens caps can be costly. However, the Jackson Truesight II justifies its higher price with outstanding features, including the largest viewport, Balder technology, industry-leading comfort, and a 5-year warranty.
About Jeff Grill
Jeff Grill hails from Long Island, a 118-mile stretch of land extending from the shores of Manhattan to the depths of the Atlantic Ocean. His passion for welding developed at an early age, evident from the scars acquired when working with various metals.